Tuesday, October 13, 2015

751. Does developing Hatred towards our own Ego help??

http://www.speakingtree.in/blog/does-developing-hatred-towards-our-own-ego-help



Reading so many spiritual scriptures and listening to so many discourses has left me to think if I can really starting hating my ego. Since almost all the scriptures have in a way stated the cause of misery, conflict and negative states of my mind is due to my inflated ego-personality. And to go with it even I have many a times felt within myself and have clearly noticed that it is the cause for peace of mind and subsequently the reason for my unhappiness.
 
Now that I know the cause for the unhappiness in me is my Ego and hence I try to get rid of it. How? Just by simply becoming aware of its impact on my mind, but this method does not work always, as my senses are at that very time blinded. I can understand the impact and consequences of my ego only after the event has passes on creating enough damage. The other simple way is to let my mind understand that ego is not all that bad and let it operate in its limits. It is like a farmer yearning for rain when there is no rain he want it and if it rains too much he is unhappy with it. As the farmer is unable to decide and say beyond doubt that the rain is bad, good or neutral. The truth is the rain just is and it is my very mind that makes it good, bad or neutral depending on how it suits my situations. It’s completely a section of chance and mostly an unpredictable process. If by chance I accept the rain because the rain just is, it won’t mentally trouble me any more.
 
The same thing happens with my ego. I have detected it within me several times and I became aware that it is the cause of my suffering and now I have concluded it to be a bad thing. Why did I conclude it to be bad? Who said so? It was me who said it. Just as the rain, the ego just is. It is the same rain that is need by the farmer and it is the same ego in me which pushes me to move ahead. Could the farmer say that it should not rain if there had been heavy rain the preceding year? He needs it that year to water his farm. I cannot hate my ego and say I should not have it hence forth.
 
So moderate ego can never be bad. It is just the stage of evolution which I need to experience. Just like when a awful thing happened to me I hate it and resist it, but later if I look back I realize that it seemed to be awful because I thought so, while the truth was it was actually what needed to happen for me to experience and to grow and evolve. So it is with a little ego. I need it. At the same time if I let this moderate Ego to swell it will be harming my humility.
Ego is like a pickle which adds the taste to the bland life at times.
 
Note: pickle can never be a main dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment