Tuesday, January 14, 2014

365. The Three Sins of Sri Sri Sankara…………..

http://www.speakingtree.in/public/spiritual-blogs/seekers/mysticism/the-three-sins-of-sri-sri-sankara




Sri Sri Sankara along with his disciples once visited Sri Vishwanatha Temple at Kasi. After taking bath in Ganga he headed straight to the temple. At the temple in front of Kasi Vishwanatha, Sri Sri Sankara began to seek pardon to the three sins he had committed. His disciples were surprised and wondered what those sins could be for which Acharya was doing Prayaschitta (Atonement). 


One of the disciples out of curiosity to know about the three sins that Acharya had committed asked Sri Sri Sankara about it. Sri Sri Sankara explained, “Though I believe that Absolute is Sarvavyapta (Omnipresent) and had expressed so in many of my works, I have come all the way to Kasinagara to have His darshana, as if He was present only in Kasinagara. I have committed the sin of saying one thing and doing the other. This is my first sin. 


Taittriya Upanishad says, “Yatho Vacho Nivartante Aprapya Manasa Sah.”(The words return and mind fails to comprehend Him). Though I knew that He is beyond the realm of thoughts and words, I have made an attempt of describing Him by words in “Sri Kasi Vishwanatha Ashtakam.” Again I have committed the sin of not practising what I preached. This is my second sin. 


Now the third sin, in my “Nirvana Shatakam” I had written clearly, 

Na Punyam Na Papam Na Saukhyam Na Dukham
Na Mantro Na Teertham Na Veda Na Yajnaha
Aham Bhojanam Naiva Bhojyam Na Bhokta
Chidananda Rupah Shivoham Shivoham

Meaning: I have neither higher nor lower merits. Nor pleasure or pain, I do not need sacred chants, nor I need to go on pilgrimages. I do not need scriptures, rituals, or sacrifices (Yajnas). I am neither the enjoyed nor the enjoyer, nor enjoyment. I am the form of Consciousness-Bliss. I am auspicious, I am auspicious.  


Yet, here I am standing in front of the Lord praying for the atonement of my sins. This is the third sin.


The profound insight in this episode in the life of Sri Sri Sankara’s reveals the importance of harmony in our thought, word, and deed. If one has the keenness to attain Absolute he has to maintain harmony in his thoughts as well as words and deeds. No matter how good our intentions are, the world looks for our presentation. But no mater how good our presentation is Absolute looks for our intentions. 

It is said thus :

Manas Ekam Vachas Ekam, Karman Ekam Mahatmanam, 
Manas Ekam Vachas Ekam, Karman Ekam Duratmanam

(Noble-Minded people are those who have perfect harmony in their thoughts, words and deeds, Evil-Minded are those who lack that harmony). Look at the beauty of Sanskrit here, the word “Ekam is used in different context for Mahatmanam (Noble-Minded) and Duratmanam (Evil-Minded). When the word is same for both there is a little confusion, if read properly the confusion fades away.

Is it possible to be so in this modern world……? Why not? if we have a preceptor like Sri Sri Sankara. Moreover accepting a mistake is a great trait. Sri Sri Sankara courageously admitted and showed the world that he was not an Hypocrite.  

Today is the appearance day of the Great Acharya. I bow to the lotus feet of Sri Sri Sankara. 

No comments:

Post a Comment