Monday, January 13, 2014

361. Mind is just a Pot of Thoughts keep that Pot Clean….!!!!

http://www.speakingtree.in/public/spiritual-blogs/seekers/science-of-spirituality/mind-is-just-a-pot-of-thoughts-keep-that-pot-clean



In a village was a farmer growing wheat in his 10 acre land. He worked all day in the field and in the evenings he attended discourse at a temple. "Gurudev" as everyone in the village called him was a learned soul who gave discourse on various Holy Scriptures and preached the villagers the way of life. The farmer used to attend the discourse almost every day without fail. Farmer however had a doubt which he wanted to clear from Gurudev so he approached him one evening.

This is how their conversation went on. 

Farmer: Gurudev you had mentioned mind (Manas) is the behind all good and bad that is happening. It is always inclined to sense gratification and hence sometime it is the cause for us to commit the bad deeds. Now I would like to ask you, can’t I be without it?

Gurudev: Oh my child, you are so innocent! Why are you so much against your mind? Mind is necessary for you to live. Without it you cannot experience the good and the bad you become like a plant which exists and breath. If you just had mind along with breath and existence you would be like animal but Absolute has bestowed you with mind as well as intellect to be a human.  Moreover it is because of that mind you have this life. 

Farmer: But, Gurudev my mind is not stable it is always after something or the other. I cannot control it I sometimes feel I do not need the mind at all?

Gurudev (coughing): Could you get me some water?       

Farmer rushes out to fetch water to Gurudev and comes back in with a pot of water. Looking at him coming Gurudev said.

Gurudev: No, I do not want that pot I need water.

Farmer: No, Gurudev I have brought water.

Gurudev: I do not need that pot I want only water.

Farmer: Water in inside the pot Gurudev you need not worry a lot about the brass tumbler just drink the water in it.

Gurudev: Look my child, in the same way your Mind is a container of thoughts. You need not worry about that mind just as you wanted me to concentrate on water not on the pot. Only important thing is that the pot has to be clean.

Farmer: Gurudev agreed that mind is necessary but then how can I keep it clean and clam.

Gurudev: Mind is always causing mental noise by chattering. It will throw question and then it will answer it and create new question and answers them it is a routine for it to be so.    

Farmer: So do you mean to say it is natural and normal Gurudev?

Gurudev: Mind often has same thought repeating over and over again like a gramophone record that is got stuck. If this is a positive or constructive thought then there is no problem at all as it is going to easy out as soon as the deed is done, but very often it is a negative or destructive thought that induces frustration and anger. Such thoughts are unwanted for you my child.

Farmer: Gurudev can I just have positive and constructive thought only?

Gurudev: Yes, my child you can have thoughts which could be a positive thoughts in majority, but you cannot stop negative thoughts either.

Farmer: Gurudev what am I supposed to do with negative and destructive thoughts when they surface? 

Gurudev: Just be indifferent to such thoughts they will fade off as they have appeared.

Farmer: How can I be indifferent to such thoughts Gurudev in fact those are the thoughts that pull me to think over and over again.

Gurudev (laughs): I do understand my child. If you feel a thought has negativity in it just chant whichever mantra you know, by doing so your mind will become calm. Or do some creative work then mind gets diverted from that thought.

Farmer: Is it as simple as that! But how will I remember to chant mantra at that time.

Gurudev: Hence Lord Krishna tells in Gita “tasmat sarveshu kaleshu mam anusmara” meaning “therefore always remember Me” My child if you make it a routine to remember Him always you will not ask me or anyone when to remember Him.

Farmer:  Pranam Gurudev!

No comments:

Post a Comment