Friday, October 12, 2018

1197. Where was Sri Krishna when the Game of Dice was played???




After the Great War Sri Krishna had a conversation with his cousin Uddhava, son of Devabhaga, Vasudeva’s brother. More than a conversation Uddhava wanted clarification from Sri Krishna on certain events that happened prior to war.

Uddhava asked, “Pandavas believe you to be their Apadbhandava (Johnny-on-the-spot) and many times you have mentioned that Pandavas were your Prana (Vital Breath) yet did not prevent Yudhishtira from engaging in the game of dice. Even after the game started you could have made him victorious to teach those cunning Kauravas a lesson. You did not stop him from keeping his brothers and wife as stake in the game. When Draupadi was disrobed in the Kurusabha you supplied her unending yarn of sarees and boasted that you saved her honour”. Uddhava was in tears when he posed this question. 

This is not only the question that Uddhava had but everyone who has read till “Sabha Parva” in Mahabarata will have this mental upheaval.

Sri Krishna smiled and said, “The one who plays the game cautiously will only win. Duryodhana let Shakuni roll the dice for him. If Yudhishtira had allowed me to roll the dice, then I and Shakuni had to play with Duryodhana and Yudhishtira placing bets on the stakes. Instead Yudhishtira foolishly prayed that I should not come to know of the game and I must not by chance come into the Kurusabha. All the while I knew what was happening and waiting for anyone of the five to call me. Bhima, Arjuna, Nakula and Sahadeva who were staked and lost were busy castigating Duryodhana and cursing their fate, rather than remembering me. After losing Draupadi in the game Dushsana dragged her by hair to the Kurusabha. She was eager to know who was staked first and wanted justice from Bhishma, Drona, Kripa and Dritharashtra who allowed this unfortunate game to be played. Initially she forgot to call me. When she was disrobed, she raised her voice to call me. I was waiting and dashed immediately when I was called. Where was I fallacious”

Now Uddhava was even more confused to consider Sri Krishna as a saviour, he asked, “Will you come only if called? Will you not come to the rescue of those in distress and establish Dharma?”

Again Sri Krishna smiled and replied, “Everyone’s life proceeds based on their actions. I don’t run it or interfere with it. I am just a “witness”. As a witness I keep observing whatever is happening. This is Dharma of Absolute Consciousness”

Uddhava asked sarcastically, “So, you will be watching us do wrongful deeds, accumulate sin and suffer. Is it?”

The master stroke by Sri Krishna is here it is profound and one has to contemplate on it. 

He says, “Uddhava, reflect on the import of what I have said carefully. When you are aware that I am inside you, you cannot do anything wrong or take part in a sinful act. The moment you forget it, you slip into thinking that you can act on your own, unknown to me. It is only then that events with adverse consequences happen. The blind spot in Kurusabha was that Yudhishtira thought he can indulge himself in the Game of Dice without me knowing about it. If he was aware that I am a witness to all, that game would have ended differently”.

Uddhava realised the Philosophy of Krishna, He will not interfere with the Gunas (Inherent Nature) of an individual but is ready to come to rescue of those who want to transform their Samskara (Psychological Impressions) and most importantly for those who are willing to get better. When we look at the way He guided Arjuna in the war without himself getting involved in the war, when Arjuna told I am all yours, please guide me- this is self-evident.  

No comments:

Post a Comment