Our ancients had used copper utensils for over thousands of years. They recommended water that is stored overnight in a copper container and consumed first early in the morning will benefit. But they would not want us to store milk and curds in the copper vessels instead instructed us to store them in earthen pots. When they wanted us to cook and store in copper vessels why were we told not to keep curds in it??? This made me do a little study on this matter. Unfortunately at those times people would not ask “Why” hence many “Dos and Don’ts” which were framed by the ancient seers do not have a valid reasoning, but that does not mean they are ridiculous. When we do a little thinking on why they told us so we will definitely get the message.
Copper has got the inherent property to kill bacteria it does not matter if bacteria is helpful or not. Now we all know that curds coagulate with the help of lactic acid that bacteria produce for fermentation. If milk is stored in copper the bacteria are killed and the curds do not form, hence we were told to store them in earthen pots.
Copper has been used for thousands of years in our civilization for the treatment of chest wounds and the purifying of drinking water. Modern research has indicated that copper helps prevent inflammation in arthritis. In temples the holy water is served from copper urns. But as copper was inducted as the trading metal the price of copper became expensive just as what gold and silver are now facing. Aluminum vessels seem to be a better option so people slowly moved away from copper. But now intelligent and innovative western world have done a lot of appreciable research on this and are going back to using copper.
Here are some of the latest on use of copper from British News Papers:
An Irish hospital has copper door handles throughout in a bid to reduce infection as the door knobs and handles act as disinfectants, providing the best possible solid protection to the patients. Another hospital use copper taps, toilet seats and door push plates to reduce microbial contamination by 90-100%. About 80% of transmissions are caused due to surface contacts. The hospital in Birmingham, says bacterium Staphylococcus aureus which transmits infections can’t be killed even by antibiotics. A small section of the hospital was taken as a trial run and decided to replace the existing stainless steel fittings with copper and the results were amazing which greatly cut infection hence the bathroom fittings of the entire hospital were changed to copper. Even the pens used by the nurses and hospital staff were made of copper.
Metallic copper surfaces kill microbes on contact they do so literally in minutes, by causing massive membrane damage to the bacteria just in a minute's exposure to copper. When microbes were exposed to copper surfaces, they were found to be killed at the rate of tens to hundreds of millions of bacterial cells within minutes. This means that usually no live micro-organisms can be recovered from copper surfaces after exposure.
We are using copper bottom to save fuel but are we using copper to save ourselves from harmful bacteria …Though use of copper cannot guarantee a second of expanded life span, it will help you keep this body active to the end, just as using the engine oil for the vehicle will keep it running till it is grounded in the garage...... Let’s give it a try and drink water stored over night in copper tumblers …… I know that most tiresome job is cleaning those vessels … Lemon juice or tamarind pulp should take care of it. No Pain No Gain…What say???