Wednesday, April 6, 2016

814. Attachment is a Hindrance to the Spiritual Path…….!


Sage Narada and Ram Bhaktha Hanuman were going to Vaikunta. As they walked together their vision happened to fall on a middle-aged couple in a small town. The husband was Ram Pyare and his wife was Lajwanti, Ram Pyare was busy all day earning money. Ram Pyare sold food grains in his shop the whole day and in evening along with his wife he would sell snacks at the park. He earned a lot of money and brought gold and household articles. Though they had married for 15 years they did not have children.  

On watching the couple Narada told Hanuman, “This man is leading a miserable life; if I could help him I will bring him here to Vaikunta and let him be at bliss.”

Hanuman retorted, “Munivar, you do not know about such humans they are attached to the worldly life and they are used to suffering even if you offer them a place in Vaikunta they will blindly refuse.”

“Unbelievable, said Narada. “But I wish to find out myself if really he would refuse my offer.” Saying so he appeared before Ram Pyare and told him, “You are leading a life of hardship, I will take you to Vaikunta and it is a very rare opportunity I know you would not miss.”

Ram Pyare pondered and said, “I am not ready, what happens to my shop and my snack business and moreover my wife is young we do not have children what will happen to her. There is lot of time left to go to Vaikunta you may go now.”

Narada went back to Hanuman and said, “Yes, he is right he has to have kids and then he will be ready.” Hanuman said you will never find him eager to come to Vaikunta. You can try as many years you want.”

After twenty years Narada went to see Ram Pyare and offer him place in Vaikunta. But he found a young man in the shop he learnt that Ram Pyare had passed away last year. With his yogic power he found out Ram Pyare had taken birth as ox and was in the cattle shed of the same house serving his son.

Narada went up to the ox and said, “Look, even in this birth you are working hard I fact harder than your previous birth. What kind of a life is this? My offer of a place in Vaikunta is still open.”

Go away,” answered the ox. “All my life as a human I yearned for a son and when I got one I could spend only 15 years with him. I want to help my son so that he can get more grains from city and sell them in this village. I cannot come with you to Vaikunta.”

Narada was amazed. He went back and reported his observations to Hanuman. Hanuman told Narada, “Holy Sage, to know the strength of human attachments please try for some more time.”

After about ten years Narada again returned to visit Ram Pyare. The ox had died and reborn as a dog in the same house. Narada found him sitting in puddle of water unable to bear the scorching heat. Narada was full of compassion and pleaded, “Think Ram Pyare, even now you can end your life on this earth plane and come back to Vaikunta. But as a dog your life is not better than ox or human. You are not allowed inside the house even if it is raining or unbearable heat. You are given leftovers, yet they expect you to faithfully guard their house day and night. Are you now ready for Vaikunta?”

“No, Narada. No. I cannot consider Vaikunta at this time. You see, my daughter-in-law is very careless. She wears lot of jewels, and unmindfully leaves it everywhere and there are thieves here looking for an opportunity to steal them. I have to keep a watch and make sure they do not enter the house. How can I think of going to Vaikunta? Please come back in a few years.”

Hanuman heard Narada’s report and insisted him to visit again after a few years.

So after about five years Narada went again to visit Ram Pyare’s house. The dog had died. Ram Pyare’s soul had been reborn as a little worm that wriggled and crawled in filth of the drain outside the house. Narada thought, ‘Now, surely, Ram Pyare will agree to come to Vaikunta with me.’

But Ram Pyare said, “I know life as a worm in the drain crawler is hard, but I am sorry I am not ready to leave it. I want to see my grandchildren playing happily and feel contented. All this is familiar to me; to tell you the truth I am scared of the unknown. The freedom and comforts of Vaikunta that you want to offer is vague. How can I cope with the freedom you offer? Please leave me alone and go away.”

Narada returned and recounted everything to Hanuman and said, “What you said is true Hanuman. What a wonderful glue of attachment these humans have applied to themselves? It holds them stuck tight to the Samsara into which they are born again and again. Only one in a million becomes curious and search for the means to liberate. Then they taste freedom and know what Bliss it is all about. And very smartly my Lord has made it unable to for them describe the experience in Vaikunta to the others because it is beyond words!”

No comments:

Post a Comment