Saturday, November 23, 2013

277. Enough of being a Slave to Mind: Let me be Free as Always...

http://www.speakingtree.in/public/spiritual-blogs/seekers/self-improvement/enough-of-being-a-slave-to-mind-let-me-be-free-as-always


There is impulsive urge in me to do what I like again and again. This tendency is termed as habit. Habits can be good or bad depending on the end consequences. Let us suppose a person smokes a pack of cigarette in a day it causes harm to him hence it is a unhealthy likewise if a person is visiting a place of worship every day and gets solace from that and it is acknowledged as healthy one.


From the psychological view point habits are considered as a recurring compulsion in me to engage in specific activity irrelevant of the consequence good or bad. But when I look at it from Yoga Sutras point of view, according to Sage Patanjali they are Vrittis which meanings whirlpool. It is just a whirlpool of thoughts; whenever I see something it brings a change in my Mind. Mind is the key instrument in perception even though the information is supplied by my senses. Mind is often referred to a liquid that takes the shape of a pot into which it is poured. This taking of shape by the Mind is termed as Vritti. There is a flip-flop of changing Vrittis every minute. During this flip-flop there is an impression called Samskara that gets stuck into my Chitta, the memory aspect of my Inner Conscience called Antahkarna. Not all that I perceive gets stuck in my Chitta, but only those which I have a liking developed in my Mind towards it.


Suppose I am performing an action for the first time I am very keen and conscious. When the same action is performed repeatedly it becomes a routine and can be done without much need of attention. For example, when I first begin learning to change gears while driving a car I would look at the gear lever while changing to see that the gear falls at the right number. As I got acquainted with the gears I seldom look at it I change it at ease. This happens so because by frequently changing gears I had created deep impression on where the gear numbers are and how to change gears. It becomes a reflex action and does not need much of my attention.


Habits also work in a similar manner. The only difference between changing gears without being aware of it and habits is the remorse and rewards obtained from the repeated activity. If that repeated action results in harmful health, effects behavior, then it is an unwanted habit. It may lead to remorse, disgrace, fright, humiliation, and depression. In contrast if it improves the status, health, wealth or awareness, then it is seen by many as a welcome habit.


However from Spirituality point it is recommended to give up both types of habits ultimately. A good habit is better than the bad habit but no habit is even better than having a good habit. The aim of Spirituality is to get me free from all conditioning good as well as bad, since both are part of materialism. Whether a bird is in a golden cage or a wrought iron one it is in bondage, it is not free. It is said that even practice done as routine is an obstacle to excel in spiritual life. Actions have to be performed with awareness and conscious if not I become slaves of my own Mind. Shunning of doer-ship can annihilate habits. I have to get rid of this slavery and become a free in the true sense……… What say?????

No comments:

Post a Comment