Tuesday, April 22, 2014

448. My choice and the Consequence that Unfurl from that Choice…

http://www.speakingtree.in/public/spiritual-blogs/seekers/mysticism/my-choice-and-the-consequence-that-unfurl-from-that-choice




When I was seventeen I lost my mother in a road accident and for a few days I began wondering if we humans had free-will or does things unfolded as predestined. On that fateful day I had just returned from my karate class and found the keys of my friend’s room in my pocket which he had given for safekeeping. My mother had come out to get milk packets as usual from the shop across the road. I could have gone to fetch them but instead I preferred to give back the keys to my friend and I took my bicycle. By the time I returned back I saw my mother lying on the road hit by a car. Had I not gone to give the keys and picked the milk packets could the accident be averted, I wondered. My granny provided me the solace she told “everything is predestined and we were like puppets in the hands of the Absolute who pulls the strings”. As years passed I tried to understand the part of free-will in my life.   

Every individual is free to make his choice and that choice comes from free-will. Though we are free to make our choices we are not free to escape from the consequence of that choice. How is it that some make the best of the free-will while others make a mess out of it? All of us have complete free-will within ourselves because the same essence of choice exists universally in every being. The only difference is in the degree by which each of us accesses this realm of free-will. Intelligence is a very big factor because those who contemplate more are the one who make more choices; hence free-will depends on the level of awareness. Fate is the result of the past they say but free-will is the result of the present. When I look backwards I recieve the blow of the fate when I look forward I realize that the free-will when used intelligently will energies my future.

Once there lived a spiritual person in a village. Many people would gather around him every evening to listen to his words of wisdom. He would welcome question and he answered every questions after his talk. One day, after one such talk on Fate and Free-will, one seeker asked him a question,

“Sadhu Maharaj, after listening to your talk on fate and free-will I am a bit confused. You say free-will does exist and at the same time you say everything is predestined?”

The Sadhu looked at the seeker, smiled and called him to come near. The seeker went up to him and stood near the Sadhu who said, “Can you please raise your right leg?”

The seeker lifted his right leg and stood on the left. 

Now, the Sadhu asked, “Can you raise your left leg too?”

The seeker replied, “No, Maharaj I cannot. I will fall if I try to attempt it.”

The Sadhu said with a smile, “This is the answer of your question.”

The seeker did not understand it. Seeing the confused face Sadhu Maharaj explained, “It was very easy to lift you right leg as your left leg was on the ground supporting your body. With your right leg raised you could not lift your left leg. Similarly we humans are provided with free-will. We are neither completely free, nor completely bonded. Every individual has to follow the laws of nature while exercising the free will. It was your intellect which did not let you lift your left leg when you right leg was in air. Likewise you have a free-will to talk to anyone about anything and anywhere. You can either make someone happy or hurt by your words. But although you are free to choose among these two options, you are bound within these two options only. Also, whatever you would speak, you will have to reap the fruits of your words afterwards. This is the law of nature, and your supposedly free-will can not let you escape of the consequences.”

1 comment:

  1. It is the nature of the mind to wish something and it tries very hard to aspire for it..humans have free will but it is limited.That limit we know only when we put all our effort.!!The result of your work may depend on your effort or may be more also.!!!This we call Destiny.!

    ReplyDelete