Monday, January 19, 2015

653. Limitations of my Memory and Perception……..

http://www.speakingtree.in/public/spiritual-blogs/seekers/mysticism/limitations-of-my-memory-and-perception



As a human being my memory and my perception has a certain limit and limitations. I often would not remember some incidences which happened some years back if they do not seem to be of importance when they had occurred. I have completely forgotten and failed to recognize one of my client who was with us when we started our industry. I was amazed when he introduced himself to me and the reason for me to forget him was he had changed the line of business and I was not in touch. The fact that I was unable to recognize him did not mean that I never interacted with that person. 


Cause and the Effect are definitely beyond my memory & perception but they are always related. Suppose I plant a mango seed after consuming the pulp in my compound, it takes twelve years for the tree to bear fruit. I might think that the seed I planted was of Alphonso but in reality the fruit is of Malgova variety. Can I foolishly argue that the seed I planted on that day was of Alphonso but the tree is yielding the Malgova variety? What I have planted is what I have got and this law cannot be violated at all. Since my memory failed to reach twelve years it does not mean the cause and effect has failed.


A few years back I watched a documentary aired by NGC (National Geographic Channel) on an African tribe which is addicted to Dagga seeds (a drug). The side an effect of this addiction has induces short term memory loss and it has become a genetic problem in them. This tribe cannot remember things more than six months and they do not know what happened beyond six months. When a child is born they cannot recollect what the cause was for it. Due to this memory failure they think that sex is a different part of life and that the child is God’s gift. For the tribe memory fail to retrace the cause and effect though the relation is felt to others across the globe.


According to Karma Siddhanta in most cases the causes bear results not in this life but will show effect in the next life. So this is why we attribute anything that happens to us as “karma”, it is not that somebody else is responsible instead I am responsible for the current situation. 

What is the importance of understanding this theory? With this knowledge when something unfavorable event happens to me I have the maturity to not blame anybody else. I know that it is my own actions, which have given the fruits. Through this knowledge I can decide through my actions and attitude never to hurt anyone or cause uncomfortable moments to my fellow beings.


An event in the life of Bhagavan Buddha illustrates this. One day Buddha along with his disciple went on seek alms. Buddha and his disciple knocked at the door of a merchant. The lady of the house answered the door. Looking at the well built young man with a begging bowl, she started to shout at him. “Are you not guilty of begging when you can work? There are many disabled young and feeble old who maintain their self respect and work to fill their belly. You lazy fellow you have to be ashamed of yourself to stand before me with the bowl.” 



Saying so she slammed the door on the face of Buddha. Buddha’s disciple who was hearing the lady shout got angry. He told Buddha, “Why are you so calm, why did you let that lady shout at you. In reality you are the ruler of the land and she is your subject. How dare she insult you?” 

Buddha just looked at his disciple and smiled. “I might have shouted at her in some previous life. I am happy that the pending debt has been cleared now in this birth. If I react and shout at her I will be creating a new account. I have to come back again to square the account which I wish not to.”

No comments:

Post a Comment