Monday, February 15, 2016

793. Life is an Extravaganza to Worry about Small Things…...!


There are many little things that happen in our lives which need not be given much priority. All events that happen favourable or otherwise, has to pass on. Nothing is to stay for long, many people worry too much about the little things in life. “Is it worth to cry over spilled milk”? Milk that is spilled accidentally cannot be regained and in this phrase the spilled milk is referred to small things which cannot be regained. Most importantly brooding over it gets us nothing at all but increases our anxiety.   

An individual who is threading the spiritual path will definitely understand that an unfortunate event that has unfolded cannot be set right and only solace is that we can get a good experience from it. One who gets anxious and agitated over little things in life needs to review why they act the way they do. The worries of spilled milk will rapture the creativity in us.

Recently I heard a story about a famous poet and writer who wrote several heart touching poems and articles. He was once interviewed by a T.V reporter who asked him about the driving force which made him much more creative than the average person. What is it that has placed him far apart from others? The writer responded, it all came from an experience with my mother when I was about two years old. I tried to remove milk container from the refrigerator I lost the grip on the slippery container and it fell on the floor spilling its contents all over the kitchen floor!

My mother came into the kitchen hearing the sound instead of yelling at me she said, “What have you done dear, did the container slip out of your hand? I have rarely seen such a huge puddle of milk. Well now the damage is done. Would you like to get down and play in the milk for a sometime before we both clean it up?”

Indeed, I did play with the spilled milk for some time. After a few minutes, my mother said, “You know whenever you make a mess like this, eventually you have to clean it up and restore everything in proper order. So, how would you like to do that? We could use a sponge, a towel, or a mop. Which do you prefer?” I chose the sponge and together I and my mother cleaned up the spilled milk.

My mother then said, “You know this has been a failed experiment in how to effectively carry a big milk container with your two tiny hands. Let’s go out in the back yard and fill the container with water and see if you can discover a way to carry it without dropping it.” And that is how I learned that if I can grasp the container at the top near the lip with both hands, I can carry it without dropping it. What a wonderful lesson my mother taught me that day. Even today I have made it a habit not to cry over unfavourable events that have unfolded, instead I have tried to understand how the next time I can avoid such things from happening.


That was an invaluable lesson the writers mother taught him there is no use crying over spilt milk and he was blessed to have her as his mother. Mothers are first and best teachers……What say????

No comments:

Post a Comment