Thursday, February 18, 2016

802. Never Expect anything in Life, Work on Attitude to be Happy!



Last week a young boy of 18 came to my factory asking if there is any vacancy. As always we were short of helpers and were in need of them. This boy had not even finished higher secondary, had worked in farm in his village Mandya, Karnataka. Our factory is purely mechanical and the automatic machines were alien to the boy, hence we were reluctant to enrol him as helper. However he had left his village and had to get a job, he insisted we give him the job. We asked him to work for a week so that we will know if he will be suitable for our factory.

For a few seconds the boy remained silent and then he gathered strength to ask what the salary we would give him was? I told him to work for a week and we would give him the basic salary and after a week we will decide if he can continue to work in the factory. Then I asked him what kind of salary would make him happy? He remained silent again. There is nothing wrong in him to ask us about the salary we are going to pay him. The standard of living in Bangalore city is unimaginable. The rent rates are high and the daily commodities prices are always on the higher side. It is understood that the boy could decide if he can stay in the city by knowing the pay scale. But then from my side I had to know how he works as he does not have primary experience in the factory work.

Expectations are sometimes a negative force which pulls me towards desire. If ultimately it is happiness in life I am looking at, I need to have limited expectations. The quality of work I do will get me better remuneration is what I feel. A person who has skilled work in hand can survive in any city and Mumbai is an apt example. There are many like the young boy who came to city from villages and work in hotels and factories and now own a factory or hotel in a matter of few years. How is it possible???

Life has made me realise that happiness is just a difference between what I expect and the reality of the outcome of my expectations. If my expectations exceed beyond the reality then I am happy. That is when I desire less than I deserve I am happy if I desire more than I deserve I am unhappy. It is this simple formula which is true to everyone including that young boy.


It is my subconscious mind which manages my happiness whether I want it to or not. Can I change my subconscious mind to increase my happiness?  It is near impossible to do so when I am conscious, it will never work that way. I have to control things which I can lay my hand on. First of all I have to work on my attitude. It is my attitude which plays a major role in accepting the reality and making my mind understand that no matter what happens nothing is permanent. Attitude will take my desires to a higher altitude and cause my little expectations to transit to higher level. If at all if that young boy had shown interest in knowing the kind of job rather than knowing what the salary was, I think he would have gone on to be a big industrialist.

No comments:

Post a Comment